[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 11 19:45:34 CEST 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Martin Peach wrote:
> On 2011-07-11 12:06, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> But I'm not sure where to store the tooltip string...
>
> Not sure if that's what you mean, but in max the  assist method receives a
> number corresponding to the inlet or outlet and returns a pointer to the
> appropriate string, so the string is already stored somewhere in the memory
> allocated to the object.

Not necessarily : the assist-method could be storing the data anywhere, or
generating it on-the-fly from whatever.

In theory, tooltip strings could be stored in something at the class-level
instead of the object-level, just like methods called at the object-level
refer to a method-table stored at the class-level.

But Pd doesn't allow extending struct t_class by externals, and it doesn't
have a tooltip field (except Günter's tooltip diff included a field for
storing a symbol containing the text of the left-inlet's text... and only
that).

GF has its own parallel class-table for storing some meta-info, and C++'s
«static members» for the rest.