[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 20:43:44 CEST 2011

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> From: Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features
> To: "pd-list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Cc: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 6:42 PM
> On 2011-07-11 12:06, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
> >
> > But I'm not sure where to store the tooltip string...
> >

> Not sure if that's what you mean, but in max the
> assist method receives a number corresponding to the inlet
> or outlet and returns a pointer to the appropriate string,
> so the string is already stored somewhere in the memory
> allocated to the object.

Ok, I see.

I don't get the idea of having a new method that's supposed to be hidden from the user (but really isn't) for every object that wants tooltips; in some cases it would subtly change the function of the object class, like [bang] and [route].  (Aside from crashing Pd, "dsp" isn't such a big deal because there isn't much of a need for an object that takes a signal AND parses arbitrary selectors, esp. on the same inlet.)  Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if
[textfile] output lists, and there was a [routelist] in Pd vanilla...

Did desiredata have tooltips?  If so, how were they implemented?

-Jonathan