[PD] route - pack issue

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 12 20:17:11 CEST 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Joe White wrote:

> This is connected to a [pack f]. When I bang the start message the route
> object outputs a bang, which in turn should output the stored number in
> the pack object. However, this does not happen (which is the problem).
>
> If I connect a [t b] after the [route] and before the [pack f] it works.
> It also works with [f ] instead of [pack f] and a [select] object will
> correctly bang the pack. I've attached a patch to show this.
>
> What seems weird is that it is not a problem with either [route] or
> [pack f] on their own, but rather only when they are connected.

[print], and most other classes, are designed to hide some differences
from you. "bang" and "list" are two different messages. So are "float 42"
and "list 42". But in both cases, they get generally treated the same...
except when they don't !

There are some tools that can help, like [gf/selector] that can tell you
what's the real selector (header) of a message.

Consider this as a small hole in Pd's message-system.