[PD] iphone or android for pd?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Jul 23 14:02:31 CEST 2011

Hi Ronni,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 06:47:23AM -0700, ronni montoya wrote:
> Hi, i was wondering which mobile phone do you recommend for working
> with pd and rjdj?  Should i get an iphone?
>
> What do you recommend me?

If you are most interested in RjDj, you should get an iThing. If you are interested in greater freedom and "hackability" you should get an Android device. It is easier to make your own non-RjDj Pd-based applications and distribute them to users on Android than it is on iPhone for example. Peter Brinkmann's "ScenePlayer" application for Android does basically what the RjDj application does on iPhone, but it does not feature the same connectivity to the official RjDj universe and might not be 100% feature-complete with all RjDj patches (although as far as I can tell it runs the scenes that I have tried very well).

Of course, there are other things you might consider apart from Pd when buying a smart phone, but you can find all of the politics and opinions you like on this topic so I won't write anything here. :)

Freedom, freedom, freedom, oi,

Chris.