[PD] Redis sync, async and subscriber client: Puredis

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Jul 26 19:51:44 CEST 2011

I like the idea of a puredis-loader object.  It could either be
blocking, and that's just a known thing to workaround, i.e. load the
file at patch startup.  That's a good place to start at least, then
things like threading, background loading, etc. could be explored later.

.hc

On Jul 26, 2011, at 1:22 PM, Louis-Philippe wrote:

> I would probably do the asset loading from outside pd, most
> programming languages have a redis client library.  For this kind of
> job Ruby, Python, Perl, Lua or even V8 could do it.  I think this
> kind of script would be trivial to implement.
>
> Something could also be achieved from within Redis with Lua, using
> the soon to be stable "Scripting Branch" http://antirez.com/post/an-update-on-redis-and-lua.html
> But as the Scripting Engine blocks Redis, I would not do anything to
> heavy in there, still it would probably be fast and convenient.
>
> Also, having the pdlua external loading stuff in redis from inside
> of PD could also be an option to consider.
>
> I'm sure these suggestions trigger more implementations ideas for
> the experienced pd users.
>
> Having a puredis-asset loader object as part of the puredis library
> could also be a possibility, given a CSV, SQL or JSON file path, the
> object could make sure redis is preset the right way.
>
> what do you think?
>
> 2011/7/26 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>
> How would you dump large data sets into redis?  That's what I would
> likely use it for: taking data from CSV or SQL files and then using
> it within Pd.
>
> .hc
>
> On Jul 26, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Louis-Philippe wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the cue about the Library template, I will look into it
>> and will probably integrate it.
>>
>> About Puredis intended usage...  for my part I have in mind to
>> integrate pd in a larger system using Redis as my data's  rosetta
>> stone.  For Queue systems, Data Persistence, Pub/Sub IPC...  I got
>> used to the way you can manipulate large data sets inside Redis and
>> tought it would match nicely with pd, and after implementating it I
>> am even more excited about its potential.
>>
>> L-P
>>
>> 2011/7/25 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
>>
>> That's a great manifesto, sounds like an interesting object.
>> Something like [pool] but with more options.  What do you have in
>> mind to use it for?
>>
>> On the exciting topic of build systems, I recommend using the
>> Library Template for this.  It'll save you the headache of making a
>> build system for GNU/Linux, Windows, etc.
>>
>> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/LibraryTemplate
>>
>> .hc

> "A cellphone to me is just an opportunity to be irritated wherever
> you are." - Linus Torvalds

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams