[PD] notes/questions from a beginner

Stephen Lavelle analytic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:09:04 CEST 2011

(sorry that you're getting this twice, IOhannes, I hit reply rather than
reply to all the first time)

you can do that with a gui-plugin :-)
> however, your description is deliberatly awkward.
> e.g. there is no reason to explicitely "deselect" the object.
> you don't have to "press backspace while holding mouse down".
>
> it is enough to "select" the object (drag the lasso over it), and once
> it is selected, press backspace (with mouse up or down)

Ah, I didn't know that there was a difference between clicking on and
drag-selecting.  Enlightening!

 > 3 - I can drag lines from outlets to inlets, but not from inlets to
> outlets.
>
> i think this is actually a good thing.
> you can also not send data from inlets to outlets.

I acknowledge that we have a difference of opinion here, and can't think of
a persuasive argument.  Would be a good subject for user experience testing
:P

i mean, i understand that it is more ergonomic to just hold "ctrl" and
> then click all those connections you want to delete rather than having
> to click-backspace every connection.
> you save a lot of clicks (well, keypresses), but i doubt that the
> _speedup_ would be significant.

It's slightly physically unpleasant - going between a touchpad and backspace
with my right hand is a little awkward.

> 5 - is there a way to type numbers directly into a number box?
> > clicking+dragging, or pumping them in via a message, doesn't feel good to
> > me.
>
> click on the number box and type the numberbox.
> this is a runmode operation (that's why you probably missed it)

Wow.  Thanks for this.  Possibly editmode, but also because there's no
indication that the box contents are editable by pressing keys (no caret,
&c.).  Is there a reason it's disabled in editmode?

Thanks for your responses :)