[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 9 14:47:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:30:25AM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > From: fbar <fbar at footils.org>
> > I used [makefilename %d] a lot in the rj library's [m_chorddict]
> > dictionary for chords, where some chord names are proper symbols, like
> > "m7", while others are floats like 7. The float-names get converted to
> > symbols internally to look up chord notes in a data structure array
> > keyed by symbols only (using [m_symbolarray]).
>
> At what point are you using numerical-symbol selectors?  Everything you've
> described has the selector 'symbol'.

With "numerical symbol" I meant a proper symbol/t_symbol, that "looks
like a number", but of course it's a t_symbol.  It's the thing that
comes out of [makefilename %d] if you send it e.g.  "123". So I'm
converting floats to symbols, which I think is not what you proposed.

Anyway I checked, and in m_chorddict I didn't exactly use it like I
described (memory was playing tricks on me), so it's not a good example.

Ciao
--
Frank