[PD] Can GEM select a color from an image?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 11 04:33:23 CEST 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Olivier B wrote:

> I think [pix_mean_color] is what you need.

This only finds the average colour, which is usually not the same as the
most prevalent colour, even though it is the best estimator.

The best estimator means that it's your best guess when someone asks you
to predict pixels picked randomly in the image. It leads to least square
error : (predicated - random)² is as low as it can be, on the long term.

In statistics, we learn about Average, Median and Mode, usually all 3 at
once, as 3 basic approaches, three kinds of «middles» of the data. What
Sebastian is looking for is more like Mode, which looks like the easiest
of the 3, but is actually the hardest of the 3, especially when doing in
multidimension spaces (such as red,green,blue) and on continuous scales
(256 values per dimension is continuous enough for what I'm talking
about).

There are several gotchas about peaks in statistical distributions.