[PD] (breaking symbols) was Re: find a list of numbers in a text file

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 11 20:04:45 CEST 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> How would you then describe how Pd judges the difference between a
> symbol and a float? I wish there was more on this topic in the manual,
> but there is not.

It's quite hard to do biblical interpretation... and it doesn't
necessarily pay off.

In the facts, programmes are written for machines to execute, and only
incidentally for people to read. So, issues of backward compatibility
happen regardless of what the manual actually says, and it's possible that
a programme doesn't reflect the intent, that a manual doesn't reflect the
intent, and/or that a manual doesn't reflect the programme. How you
resolve such a conflict is... some kind of triple-edged sword... but
remember that the intent in question needs not to be the original intent,
I'm talking about the current intents.

E.g. if you pass a symbol through [trigger float], which is documented as
something that «converts» data, and what it does to any symbol is turn it
to 0, you can safely throw away both the documentation and the presumed
original intent and move on. Then you may decide a new intent that is
useful instead of nonsensical.