[PD] inactive patch consuming 100% CPU

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Tue Sep 13 12:51:12 CEST 2011

Hi list,

I having some trouble with a large abstraction I've made. It's a
[soundfiler]/[phasor~]/[tabread4~] based sample player that plays tracks
forwards, backwards, half-speed, etc and I am also using [freeverb~] as
a frozen reverb tail. It can play 5 tracks simultaneously fine, and I
can manipulate them live, but when all the tracks are stopped the CPU
steadily increases until it reaches 100% and I've no idea why. The
tracks I'm loading are all between 3-5mins long so I'm obviously using a
lot of memory. The tracks are stopped by sending [phasor~] a frequency
of zero, and muting the main [*~] output. It's a bit of a sprawling
mess, but I'd be really grateful if anyone would be able to look at it
and tell me what's going wrong!

test_patch is the patch I'm using and player2.pd is the abstraction.
Also, this is on a Macbook Pro 8,1 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 4GB RAM
running Pd-extended 0.42-5

thanks

James