[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Thu Sep 29 17:09:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 06:17:08PM +0800, Simon Wise wrote:
> typing into a spreadsheet cell is somewhat analogous, and probably a
> fairly common activity ...

Nice connection!

> generally <enter> saves and exits the cell, while to put a newline into a
> cell without leaving it is <ctrl><enter> ... not sure what the OSX
> equivalent is, maybe <cmd><enter>.

I just checked out the Google Docs spreadsheet behavior.  I assume that it
mimics the interfaces of other popular spreadsheet programs, though I don't
know that for sure.

  * <esc> cancels the change and exists the cell.

I haven't seen anyone object to Matthieu's suggested behaviors for <enter> and
<esc>, which are consistent with both behavior and general OS gui conventions,
so I think we may have achieved consensus there.

What's left is the basically irrelevant issue of how to insert a newline
that's going to be turned into a space later anyway.  My inclination is to
supply a patch which simply does not support the insertion of newlines.  If
that results in user confusion and support inquiries, a binding for
<modifier><return> can be added later.

Marvin Humphrey