[PD] expr alternative - licences

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Mon Oct 24 10:38:20 CEST 2011

i go bananas wrote:
> out of interest, what's the deal with pd being used as the audio engine for
> computer games, like Spore, or whatever?  They don't make the source code
> available, do they?  Wouldn't those applications also have to avoid [expr] ?

To some extend, that's a point for GPLv3 : clarify the "I just bundle
the the software as is" situation and stuff like that.

You can always have libpd embedded in a dumb socket listener software,
with opened source code, and have your closed-source application connect
to it via TCP.  By doing so you respect the licence from a law
standpoint, but you don't really respect the spirit. It's up to you to
decide wheter it's a problem or not.

--
Charlot