[PD] how to capture window-related mouse-events when toxy is discontinued?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:57:39 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> Are we comparing percentages with an equivalent 2-D GEO ? E.g. a radiobutton
> that has n=8 needs between 9 and 12 canvas items. This has to translate to
> between 9 and 12 GEM Geos. How many geos were used in the GEM test ?
>
> I'd believe it if GEM is fastest anyway, but the numbers shouldn't be made
> to be more dramatic than they deserve, so, that's why I'm asking.

How many geos doesn't seem to matter much. A 'Gem gui object' could
for example be a draggable geo with a texture, or a set of 5 geo's
moving together when dragged. The cpu load caused by dragging is the
same in both cases. The percentages in my small test were rough
indications as seen in top, for Pd and Pd-extended processes. In OSX's
Activity Monitor, the process WindowServer (not shown in top), does a
few % as well for any mouse activity, that's what I saw only later.

I've done a rather intensive attempt to do all gui's in Gem some time
ago. It was promising, but there were a couple disadvantages as well.
It's documented on the Pd forum:

http://puredata.hurleur.com/sujet-5515-gem-alternative-guis

A demo patch 'WaveRefinery.pd' is there (login, post #5), with
animated pictogram buttons, toggles and xy-controls in a Gem window.
It gives a nice impression of possibilities.

Katja