[PD] "get" method for Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 18 19:16:44 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-18 à 09:43:00, Chris McCormick a écrit :

> I think DesireData had a facility for receiving error messages back into
> the patch.

It had only something to trap all console-messages («posts») during the
time it takes to handle a pd-message. You send a message through it, and
the console-messages are trapped until the message «returns» (end of
message-handling, not counting any [delay]ed things).

   http://artengine.ca/desiredata/gallery/unpost.gif

It can be nested : you can have an [unpost] in the main patch and have it
send stuff to an abstraction that also uses [unpost], for example, and
posts will be sent to only one [unpost], the latest one still active.

I also thought there would be something specifically for errors, but kept
it for the future.

I had plans for a different error-messaging system because [unpost]-like
solutions need parsing error messages. I thought of future error messages
being regular pd messages so that you can use [route] to pick up error
categories by selector. That would have been much closer to try/catch or
begin/rescue in other languages (while not actually implementing the part
that makes it hard to implement).