[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.43-1 test7 (!) available

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 5 01:44:48 CET 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2011-12-27 à 22:08:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> It is possible to make pd-gui execute line-by-line by setting the buffering on the socket to be per-newline, then reintroducing the logic that used to be in the C code.  But I think its faster to have Tcl parse, compile, and execute the code in larger blocks, but I don't have any data to back that up.
>
> What makes you believe such a thing ?
>
> Making computation in larger chunks may be a good idea for precompiled or preparsed code, it doesn't necessarily make sense for source code that has yet to be parsed.
>
> If you want to know which one is faster, you can benchmark both ways so that running times get printed in a log.

The big blocks of code tend to be very similar instructions in a sequence, so that would hit caches well.  That's one thing that makes me think this.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.  It's about as sensible to say we declare war on night attacks and expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom