[PD] Analog square wave?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:43:29 CET 2012

In an analog synth the square wave has some distortion to it: the rise is
not instantaneous and there is some overshoot of the peak too.  Over the
years this was minimized by using high slew rate amp circuits and the like
so an old Moog pulse wave is less ideal in shape than a new one.

For a digital square wave you would want to use band limiting to avoid
alias artifacts which are quite severe for a square or sawtooth wave.  As
the frequency goes higher both of those waves will begin to look more like
sine waves as the partials are filtered out.  Pretty much every commercial
digital synth and plugin uses anti-aliased waveforms.