[PD] GUI and DSP

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Feb 11 20:49:07 CET 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2012-02-10 à 20:09:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :
>
>> For me the create-delete method uses more CPU but both are pretty intensive. Any Qt devs out there?  Or gtk'ers?  Maybe a JUCEr?  Would those toolkits be able to utilize the GPU?  Those would be nice to compare, too.
>
> In the end, switching toolkits wouldn't be a bad idea, but it's not the only solution. Some things inside of tk could be improved. Modifying tk can be scary, more so if we have to think seriously about bundling alpha versions of tk 8.7 together with pd-extended, but the alternative is to rewrite large amounts of code (everything using sys_gui or implicitly referring to Tcl), which is error-prone, hard to test, and too many changes in one chunk.
>
> So, it's not very clear to me which one is best.
>
> I had tried making some changes to Tk 8.5, and it seemed somewhat promising. I was getting large speedups for some cases, and large slowdowns for some other cases. With more work, the latter could have been eliminated. It would benefit most other uses of Tk Canvas in other apps as well, so it could be integrated to Tk itself.

This makes a lot of sense to me.  The approach you outline here would also likely be a more rapid path to speeding the Pd GUI up.  It can be done incrementally, while switching away from Tcl/Tk has to be done all at once.

Then we can take the pressure off of splitting the GUI stuff out of 'pd' to make sure we get it done right.