[PD] specifying time

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Feb 16 17:12:08 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-15 à 12:07:00, Miller Puckette a écrit :

> That's an open question; I'm not sure whether computing the length of a
> blockin msec and then sending it to "delay", for instance, would always
> round back to the exact number of Pd ticks in a block.

It depends on how you do it. See attached patch to see that [int] helps
find a lot of cases of (1/x)*x = 0.999999... But there are less than how I
think there would be.

If replacing truncation by actual rounding, then the problem disappears.

C's (int) and C++'s int() are the same as Pd's [int].

> (A pd tick, internally, is small enough that one millisecond and one
> sample both are integer numbers of ticks, at least provided the SR is
> one of the "standard" ones.)

That's actually the ppcm of 192 and 88,2 kHz.

> There would still be the problem of round-off errors for larger delays -
> the only way I can see to manage that is to have the time objects have a
> notion of unit.

Would a similar things happen to all objects that take frequencies ?

   [osc~ 4 kHz]        means 4000

   [osc~ 1382.3 rad/s] means 220

   [osc~ 36000 deg/s]  means 100

   [osc~ 2 ms]         means 500