[PD] how to debug tcpsocketserver?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:31:28 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 19:22 +0200, rolf wrote:
> i'm on Pd-ext 42.5, Windows xp/7
> set-up: 1 tcpsocketserver, 6 or more wireless tcpclient-s (+ 1 router).
> broadcasting from the server to the clients works.
>
> sending back something from the clients to the server fails for some.

May I ask what is your reasoningu behind your use of [tcpsocketserver]
over [tcpserver]?

> the messages are sent correctly (only a few bytes),
> but the server ignores 1 or more of the clients permanently.

Unlike [tcpserver], which is application protocol agnostic, the point of
[tcpsocketserver] is to create valid packets for the specified
application protocol. Currently there is only support for FUDI and OSC.
However, it's possible to add more 'protocol delimiter' abstractions.

It's not possible to handle packet oriented protocols correctly with
plain [tcpserver], since you might receive packets from different
clients interleaved. That is why [tcpsocketserver] was written.

> when using tcpserver instead of tcpsocketserver this doesn't happen.
>
> how can i find out why tcpsocketserver is behaving like that?
>
> BTW i encountered this because contrary to what is said in the help
> patch, tcpsocketserver does not have the same outlets as tcpserver, 4
> instead of 5.

Thanks for mentioning it. The 5th outlet of [tcpserver] was added after
the [tcpsocketserver] abstraction was created, that's why it was
missing. I added the 5th outlet to [tcpsocketserver] now.

Roman