[PD] HID double triggers

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Apr 22 02:32:01 CEST 2012

On Apr 21, 2012, at 10:22 AM, James Dunn wrote:

> Quoth IOhannes m zmoelnig, on 21/04/2012 14:23:

>> On 2012-04-18 20:27, Andrew Faraday wrote:
>>> I've had this problem before with [hid], apparently it's a hardware
>>> issue called 'debouncing', which is often ignored because it is often
>>> irrelevant (pushed is pushed, for game controllers, rather than a
>>> button-on/button-off signal used for most music systems).
>>>
>>> You can deal with the problem in pure data by using a trigger, float and
>>> delay of one millisecond. See the attached patch, click the message
>>> boxes and watch your terminal for the result.
>> [change] seems to be the more appropriate solution here...
>>
>> fgmasdr
>> IOhannes
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The problem I have with these two solutions is that they only work when the double triggers are in sequence. Sometime they arrive like this:
>
> [hid] 0.7, written by Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
>     compiled on Apr 15 2012 at 08:12:47
> [hid] opened device 4 (/dev/input/event4): AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
> print: key key_j 1
> print: key key_l 1
> print: key key_j 1
> print: key key_l 1
> print: key key_j 0
> print: key key_j 0
> print: key key_l 0
> print: key key_l 0
>
> So I would need to store the value of each key individually and check each one with [change].
> Instead of this long-winded method, I've downloaded [linuxevent] which is working nicely so I think I'll stick with this even though it may be deprecated?
>
> Surely this is a bug with [hid] though?

Could be.  If you think so, please file a bug report.  I am happy to help anyone work thru this bug. I haven't used [hid] in a good long while tho, so I'm not up on the code or the issues, nor am I likely to have time to look at it.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -Admiral Gene LeRocque