[PD] Using opensource graphic drivers, Pd-extended turn all the computer VERY SLOW.

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 17:53:46 CEST 2012

Hi, everybody. I work with 3D engine (Blender) on Ubuntu 12.04. One year
ago, I bought a HP (Pavilion dv6 3160us) with two graphic cards and I
just make the discrete card (ATI 5650) work TODAY! (yes, one year
later). It is working on open source drivers. Everything seems to be OK
(well, now the computer is 80º celcius, now)... but, in the moment I run
Pd or Pd-Extended (that controls all the audio: sounds, music, effects,
etc), the computer gets VERY SLOW. Everything, from the 3D Engine to
moving windows or running any other application or writting this mail.

I looked at the cpu monitor and it's ok. Pd is using 8% of CPU.
If I turn DSP off, everything gets normal.
It doesn't matter if it uses ALSA or Jack: it's the same.
It doesn't matter if I use the discrette or the integrated graphic card:
it's the same.

Using Pd from Ubuntu Software Center and Pd-Extended from
http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-list@iem.at/msg51542.html

Any idea?