[PD] [tabread4~] bug???

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:34:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 24/07/12 03:55, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Ok, as long as we're on it, here's another thing I found while
> patching around. Probably related to the last crazy behaviour I just
> described, but something on its own.
>
> It is simpler than phase vocoding, it's just something weird about
> sampling into arrays and playing with [tabread4~]. Well, maybe there's
> a relation to the bug I just reported (check my last email sent to the
> list please), because that uses [tabread4~] as well.
>
> So, if I record onto a a somewhat big array, there comes a time where
> it just fails completely when playing it through [tabread4~], but not
> with [tabplay~]. It also does not show it anymore after that
> particular point in the array itself. The point is around 380 seconds
> (6 minutes and 20 seconds).

This is a known limitation with [tabread4~] and [tabread~] and pops up
every now and then [1] (it could probably be useful to mention it in
[tabread~] help).

Long story short: you are rather safe with [tabread~] and [tabread4~]
for arrays as big as 2^24 - that is 16777216
Length in seconds will vary depending on sample-rate: Here a table for
commonly used samplerates:

+--------+------------+
| s.rate |   seconds  |
+--------+------------+