[PD] Two Pd instances with different startup options

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 11 23:08:20 CEST 2012

There are a few ways to do this... here's houw you could make a copy of Pd
and have it use different settings:

Copy the app (say, to Pd2.app)

edit the file, Pd2.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd

(you can use "open -e" from a command line to do this).  It's a binary
file so it will look ugly.

Go in and replace the four instances of teh string org.puredata.pd with
another string of the same length such as org.puredata.zz

Now you can open the two versions of Pd and each will keep its own set of
preferences.

Now here's a question - wouldn't it be nice to be able to have Pd automatically
do this by (for instance) looking at the app's name and using that to figure
out what preferences to load?  On the other hand, maybe in other circumstances
you woudn't want that behavior... hmm.

cheers
Miller