[PD] Too many objects (but only in Windows)

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 05:38:42 CEST 2012

> On 2012-10-03 15:06, Ed Kelly wrote:

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I know you main devs have bigger fish to fry right now, but an
>> answer to (some of) my wierdness with Gem (in case you're
>> interested) -- the "unable to save file: too many objects" message,
>> and related errors (files no longer loaded within the patch, Pd
>> seems to lose its bearings/path) only seem to occur on Windows.
>> Something gets corrupted in Pd but I don't know what.
>>

> the problem is, that on w32 file-handles can be incompatible between
> different c-runtime versions and each dll uses the c-runtime it has
> been linked too.
> this means that file handles opened by one dll (e.g.: Pd-core) might
> not be closeable by another dll (e.g. Gem).

Thanks IOhannes,
So there is some sloppiness in Windows, which is hardly a surprise since it's not created with the integrity of a *nix system.
Fortunately for me, this piece has to work only on Mac OS X for now - on the percussionist's MacBook. I can use my old laptop to develop the project for now until I fix my new machine's Ubuntu/Pd/Gem issues. It's good to know there is a solution on the way though.
Ed