[PD] OT: Partition space for ubuntu distro?

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Thu Oct 18 11:08:19 CEST 2012

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> hmm, getting booting speeds from 15s to 6s is really something that is
> cool to show off at presentations.

Sure :). But not only. It also speeds up loading heavy sound files and
videos. In fact, the point of the "look at boot-up speed" is to show how
fast it is to access hundreds of files compared to hard-drive without
caching.

*** The search plugin of Jonathan needs no indexing :) ***

Real-world example:
A friend and I have developped a patch for an exhibition (vvvv, sorry)
on a ssd equipped laptop. The production machine (a brand-new HP
workstation) has a hard disk, and can't run the patch (it blocks or
crashes) without preloading the 15 full-hd videos into a cache.

> my personal experience (with an eee901 and a 128GB SSD disk) was
> rather mixed: after about 2 years the harddisk started to die away.

There's been a bit of progress since the eee901 came out. However,
you're quite right: I make more regular backups since I have a ssd.

Ok, back to some more pdish topic :).

--
Charles