[PD] firm delay scheduling

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:12:16 CET 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 13:42 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> [delay] is as firm as your going to get, from what I've seen.  [delay]
> should be at least as accurate to about one audio block, so like
> 1.5ms, so if you only need 250ms accuracy, you have plenty of room.

[delay] is not "somewhat precise", it is absolutely precise. However,
there are classes that ignore the precision of [delay] and treat
incoming messages as if they would have been sent at block boundaries.
For instance the phase inlets of [osc~] and [phasor~].

What Jean-Adrien probably means by 'elastic' is not the lack of
precision of [delay] in the deterministic scope of Pd, but the fact that
it tied to that deterministic scope and thus is precise only in logical
time, but not in real time. If the CPU load of Pd goes above 100%,
logical time gets more and more behind real time.

Roman