[PD] PengPod Linux tablet, hopefully coming soon

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Dec 25 01:16:30 CET 2012

On 12/24/2012 06:32 PM, Bastiaan van den Berg wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM, katja <katjavetter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  > Anyway, just to let you know, _all_ allwinner A10
>>> tablets/tvsticks/settopboxes can run linux without much effort at all.
>> Not
>>> really any point in a 'boxed linux' version of it..
>>
>> Sounds like you're experienced with these. I'm curious, did you manage
>> to compile and install Pd or Pd-extended on them? Is it possible to
>> get duplex audio I/O with Pd? (still a problem with the Pi). Do you
>> need to use a real time kernel to get decent sound from Pd? Is a real
>> time kernel for ARMv7 available at all?
>>

> Could try a pd-extended compile, there is also just the normal debian
> versions of this. Beagleboard/Pandaboard/IGEPv2/Cubieboard all share the
> same core and many users.
>
> There seem to be realtime support since 3.0.27 for ARMv7.

Hopefuilly some of these open hardware projects will spend the effort to get
the audio drivers right, so that there isn't the massive latency like with
Android.

There is now a Debian source package as part of the nightly builds, so it
should be much easier to build Pd-extended on Debian these days.  After
downloading the two tarballs:

http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/latest/Pd-extended_0.43.4~20121224-source.tar.bz2
http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/latest/Pd-extended_0.43.4~20121224-source.debian.tar.bz2

You basically just need to do this:

tar xjf Pd-extended_0.43.4~20121224-source.tar.bz2
cd pd-extended
tar xjf ../Pd-extended_0.43.4~20121224-source.debian.tar.bz2
debuild -uc -us --lintian