[PD] .43.4 and ubuntu 10.04 error / wont launch gui

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 10 00:31:10 CET 2013

On 01/10/2013 00:13, Rick T wrote:
> Here's what comes back with no GUI
>
> vmpd at vmpd-desktop:~$ pd-extended
> priority 6 scheduling enabled.
> priority 8 scheduling enabled.
> jackd 0.118.0

could you try starting PdX without jack?
something like:
$ pd-extended -alsa

or even

$ pd-extended -nosound

> One thing I noticed is that the limits.conf for 10.04 is located in
> etc/security/ but the message is tell me to change the file in etc/

this is unrelated. various distributions put those files in different
places (though it seems that at least on debian derivatives there is a
consensus to use directories for configurations where potentially
multiple "agents" (sysadmins as well as packages) want to add/remove
their little bits), and nobody cared to modify the jack sources for your
distribution to print out the correct filename.

nevertheless, you probably should change your limits according to the
suggestion you got.

>>> PUREDATA selection doesn't exist or form "STRING" not defined
>>> PUREDATA selection doesn't exist or form "STRING" not defined
>>>      while executing
>>> "selection get -selection PUREDATA"
>>>      (procedure "first_lost" line 2)
>>>      invoked from within
>>> "first_lost"

does this also happen with Pd-0.44 (e.g. from git)?

fgmadsr
IOhannes