[PD] Fw: Help to load sound

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 16:06:15 CET 2013

Hi Romain,

Please also read the other posts about the -maxsize option for soundfiler.
Sound quality for readsf~ is as good as it gets. The only difference is it reads the ound from the disk as it is playing, and this is better in that you can load a soundfile while playing the patch without dropouts. When you load a file into an array or [table] using soundfiler, the audio switches off for a moment, so you have to load all sounds before you start playing. With readsf~ you can load a new sound in the middle of a performance without affecting the audio.

Best,
Ed

Gemnotes-0.2: Live music notation for Pure Data, now with dynamics!
http://sharktracks.co.uk/

>________________________________

[readsf~] object, you are right, it's more easy to Load with it, but I would like to know if the sound quality is maximal with [readsf~] ??

>>Romain
>>

>>> Message du 13/01/13 18:42
>>>>

>>>It is, by default 4000000. You can load larger files by changing the message to soundfiler from:
>>>

>>>[read -resize myfile.wav sound(

>>>[sound resize 8000000;
>>>read myfile.wav sound(
>>>

>>>In short, you resize a table manually to some number of samples (here it's 8000000) before you load a soundfile into it.
>>>I believe there is an object called soundfileinfo~ or something that gives you the length of a soundfile...but I can't remember off the top of my head what it's called or where it is in pd-extended
>>>

>>>Alternatively, if you don't want to use the soundfile as though it were a table (i.e. if you  just want to play the file) it's better to use [readsf~]
>>>

>>>Ed
>>>

>>>Gemnotes-0.2: Live music notation for Pure Data, now with dynamics!

soundfiler_read: truncated to 4000000 elements

objects that you named only [mp3play~] can play back MP3s.