[PD] Raspberry Pi does denormals

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 12:40:32 CET 2013

Pierre, the way how denormals can impact performance on the Pi, is
whenever a an object with feedback delay (IIR filter, reverb etc.)
stops receiving input signal, it's values decay into the subnormal
range, which causes substantial increase of CPU load. Such situations
can be avoided by adding a tiny DC value to the object input, like [+~
1e-21] (note the minus sign in the number notation). When a normal
audio signal is present, that number is too small to be added (because
of limited precision), but when audio stops, it prevents subnormals.

Another thing is, one should be careful not to accidentally send 'inf'
or 'nan' into such objects, as they can not recover from it. This
would be particularly annoying in a public performance, since you'd
need to reload the containing patch to recover.

It is possible to prevent denormals via C code, as it is currently
done for Pd on Intel processors, but this implements a lot of
conditional checks and it means performance loss for many objects. For
current Intel computers the extra load is not so much of a problem,
but for poor Raspberry Pi one would rather like to save a few
instructions, instead of adding more.

Katja