No subject

Wed Feb 27 09:47:05 CET 2013

I was able to get pdp_sdl working in fullscreen with hardware
acceleration. It is surprisingly fast. I was able to generate noise
(pdp_noise-help.pd) and play video (pdp_qt-help.pd) without an
Xwindows right from the console. I did it this way. Make sure you are
in the console only (no x window system).

To try it out:

get:
http://megrimm.net/press/wp-content/software/pdp_03.14.13.zip
http://megrimm.net/press/wp-content/software/sdl-dispmanx_03.14.13.zip
http://megrimm.net/press/wp-content/software/pdp-noise_sdl-test.pd

unzip:
/home/pi/pd-externals/pdp
/home/pi/Applications/SDL12-kms-dispmanx

copy/move:
/home/pi/Desktop/pdp-noise_sdl-test.pd

then:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/pi/Applications/SDL12-kms-dispmanx/build/.libs"
pd && pd -nogui -stderr -lib pdp -open
/home/pi/Desktop/pdp-noise_sdl-test.pd

To Do (Help?):
- I would like to figure out a way to just run the above command in a
.sh script. If we want to keep libsdl1.2debian stock then you have to
use export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load pd/sdl with dispmanx backend. One
could just do a "make install" in the SDL12-kms-dispmanx directory but
that would effect the entire system replacing libsdl1.2debian
- I have modified pdp_sdl.c slightly to work with the dispmanx
backend. i have not figured out how to modify to EXIT sdl so at the
moment the only way to get out of the application is to reboot the
system.
- What is the best file format for pdp/rpi? The anim.mov at 320x240
(not sure of codec) was fast and smooth. I also tried a .mov 720x480
photo-jpeg 80megs that was slow and grainy.

If others are interested we can work together on this. Let me know.

Also im wondering. Might someone know the way to compile just pdp_sdl
as a stand alone? Right now every time i make a change I compile the
whole thing because im unschooled and code C by trial and error.

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com