[PD] Large File Support on Linux

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 20 23:45:38 CET 2013

OK.. I think I'm sold (for 0.45 :) on trying to get sys_open, etc., to do
the "right" thing.  I guess on Windows this would have to be somehow both
UTF8 and 64-bit safe - all the more reason to do as you suggest and hide the
whole mes behind sys_this_and_that() variants.

I thought exactly the same thing about a find_via_path routine.  It seems to
me that open_via_path, which tries not just to verify that the file exists but
also that it can actually be opened, is perhaps working too hard; if a file
that proves impossible to open is in an earlier spot on the path, the best
thing might be to try and fail to open it instead of going out to another,
perhaps incorrect, version of the file.

Also, it could be fixed to take the path as an argument so that d_soundfile.c
can call it from other threads safely (using separate copies of the path).

cheers
Miller