[PD] Negative input numbers for [pow] return 0

Joe White white.joe4 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 11:50:32 CEST 2013

Disclaimer: I don't feel too strongly about this because I realised my
original calculation was wrong anyway, however...

If you think about it negative exponents require a completely
> different algorithm that is discontinuous with the one for
> positives. Instead of multiplying you divide n times.

For sure, but we're talking about negative bases, additionally negative
exponents are already handled correctly by [pow].

bien sur, it would be easy to add this.
> the thing is, do we really want that?
> having NaN's somewhere in your computation will have all the results
> become NaN, including any signals.
> NaN-signals don't sound good.

There are many things I can do in Pd that don't sound good, I've bust my
ears and headphones/speakers too many times to know that :)
I would argue that yes (I personally) would want that. If the calculation
is wrong, then it's my fault. Also, this is in reference to a message
object that's being
used for a graph calculation. Receiving '0' was confusing.

the output is a number of the value NaN (which gets displayed as NaN, but
> this doesn't mean it a symbol ,just like "1e-8" is not a symbol
> either...usually)

Good to know, thanks!

Out of curiosity, are the workarounds suggested more of a result of the
difficulty of extending the Pd core rather than the implications that such
a change might have? Obviously [expr] is a good solution but still the fact
that [pow] acts differently feels non-intuitive.

Cheers,
Joe

Follow me on Twitter @diplojocus