[PD] direct connection from pd to webrowser, low latency

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 26 11:21:12 CEST 2013

On 04/25/2013 04:36 PM, onyx at onyx-ashanti.com wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me do quickly.
>
> Is there a network audio object (s) that can output  standard formatted
> audio?

i've started writing an RTP infrastructure for Pd [1], though it
currently only supports uncompressed audio.
RTP is a pretty standard protocol, and latency can go down to a few ms.
there are also RTCP components.
keep in mind though, that this is not a "plug-and-play" object, but
instead a framework (so you might need to know what RTP is and ow it
works in order to get it do what you want).

whether it works in browser or not, i don't know.
keep in mind, that browsers are still mainly consumer goods, and as such
latency doesn't matter so much (if you only listen to a stream on a
remote place it doesn't matter if it is 10ms behind or 2mins - since
there is no feedback and nothing to compare with, tere is no "absolute"
time)

gfamdr
IOhannes

[1] https://github.com/iem-projects/pd-iemrtp