[PD] Fwd: right angle connections

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:51:55 CEST 2013

On Fre, 2013-06-14 at 12:38 +0200, Charles Goyard wrote:
> Simon Wise wrote:
> > Its all really a matter of taste ... it has come up many many times
> > over the years, and nobody who could implement them seems to want
> > segmented cords enough to actually do the work.
>
> Desire Data did Bezier curves.
>
> Having the feature does not force people to use it.
>
> The real problem is: having the feature forces every pd flavor to
> understand them at the file format level, even if not rendering it.

I'm not sure if this is really a problem. Pd 0.45 supports setting a box
width (for objects, messages, comments) that is saved with the patch.
Those patches still can be opened and read by previous versions of Pd.
This is done by storing the box width after a comma on the object
creation line:

#X obj 135 129 osc~ 3000, f 25;

Similarly, this could be done for connections:

#X connect 0 0 1 0, add some connection props here;

Of course, this information is lost when saving the patch with a Pd that
doesn't understand the format extension. Also, the extension might cause
an older Pd to print an error.

Roman