[PD] How to make a looper ?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 22:33:53 CEST 2013

Dear list,

i've been working on a simple looper (the sound on sound thing, Eno &
Fripp, Eno all by himself, you know what I mean). I decided to use two
tables, write to T1 while reading T2, and write to T2 while reading T1,
adding the input and the currently playing table together before writing.

I'm faced with two issues. One is a click I hear everytime I record a new
piece of sound (I m almost certain it happens while switching from one
table to the other), and another is final volume.

What is the proper way of reading two tables continuously and alternatively
? And conversely, what is the proper way of writing continuously to two
tables alternatively ? I'm currently using threshold~.

About the final volume, the problem is that the first sound i record gets
burried in the later recordings, and it all ends up distorting because it
too loud in the end. I suppose I should use a limiter on the input, and
maybe compress the output. Is that correct ? Can someone point me to a good
compressor/limiter in Pd ?

Or maybe there's a much better way to make a looper in Pd...

Cheers,

Pierre.