[PD] GOP text field / symbol which is resizeable? (was: GOP text field which sends bang?)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:31:03 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 03:56 -0400, Ivica Bukvic wrote:

> miscalculated
> border
> ([hsl]

> iemguis used
> compatibility
> > >
> > > This is true. Although, I wouldn't call translating an object by 3
> > > pixels exactly breaking compatibility.
> >
> > If a patch just isn't usable at all on a different flavor, then I
> don't
> > see how this doesn't qualify for breaking compatibility.
> >
> > Roman
>
> I guess we need to clarify what "not usable at all" means. If a patch
> works but one optional gop hsl is not visible, personally I would say
> that one element may not be usable and only temporarily.

Many of my patches are not usable at all without GOP GUIs visible. And I
cannot fix it myself as either it breaks pd-vanilla|pd-extended or
pd-l2ork or it looks dead ugly. So yes, it breaks compatibility in a
serious way. And I also do not see the temporary aspect of it. I as a
patch developer can't provide a solution to this.

This is _the_ reason I don't even try to bother to make my patches work
in pd-l2ork. And I even need to tell people that they shouldn't use
pd-l2ork when they want to use my patches.

> If you are looking for things that really break compatibility, then
> those would be things like preset_node object that are current only
> possible in pd-l2ork.

Actually, one can decide to use or not to use new features. Obviously,
added features do not work in flavors that do not implement that
feature. From a user point of view, this can be dealt with  in an clean
way. If you want your patch to work on other flavors, don't use stuff
like preset_node. I don't see a problem at all with that.

Roman