[PD] Migrate away from Sourceforge?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 05:50:08 CEST 2013

On 31/08/13 06:46, Thomas Mayer wrote:

> I cannot vouch, that any commercial service will not do the same of
> course. Github e.g. stopped supporting downloads of binaries a few
> months ago.

ISPs charge for bandwidth, in some places much more heavily than others, so for
hosting lots of binaries without this kind of revenue raising you need to go
through some big institution with serious bandwidth ... say a university, or the
mirrors provided within various ISPs or academic networks, and accept their
conditions to do so.

Otherwise you can choose to only supply binaries to those people willing (and
able) to join peer to peer file sharing networks, or willing and able to get
their binaries through the big mirror system organised by Debian or similar.

Essentially either abandon potential or existing users who only use commercial
channels (maybe a few will actually learn, expand their horizons, and follow the
move) or join their club, make use of their channels, and live with their
techniques. It's a difficult choice, it depends on your goals.

Github is offering binary downloads again, but I'd guess that can only continue
if the volume stays reasonably small (i.e. if most users are there for the code,
as developers ... and they distribute their binaries using other channels) or
the revenue they can extract from the user in the process gets higher, or they
can pass the bandwidth cost on to the projects as a paid service.

Simon