[PD] UDP vs TCP, for OSC networking

Ryan Smith bigryeguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 04:41:18 CET 2014

Pretty much. TCP ensures that every packet gets there intact. You have
a back and forth between the server of the packet and the client to
make sure. UDP just sends the packet where you ask, and doesn't
confirm whether it makes it at all. Generally for most OSC use the
number of packets you're sending isn't going to be high enough that
packet loss is an issue and most people use UDP since it will be
faster. Then if you're running into packet loss, for whatever reason,
try switching to TCP.