[PD] GEM Motion Capture

Luiz Naveda lab.naveda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 03:45:20 CET 2015

Hey Josh, colleagues,

Curiously, I had the same surprise today in front of students :-(

I am trying to find a solution too. For now you could try another software
for video processing and then send blob information to PD:

Processing via OSC?
http://www.stefhancaddick.co.uk/new/hive-2/motion-detection-with-processing-osc/
CCV via Tuio (http://ccv.nuigroup.com/#home)

However, I would suggest a Kinect (via Kinecta) instead of webcams.

Cheers

Luiz Naveda

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Jaime E Oliver <jaime.oliver2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So what is the newest version of OS X with which GEM will work?
>
> best,

> On Mar 11, 2015, at 5:19 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>
> > On 03/11/2015 08:45 PM, Joshua Curley wrote:
> >>
> >> I also am using the latest updated from Apple: Yosemite
> >
> > most likely this is the problem.
> > Gem still uses QuickTime for accessing the video devices on OSX, and
> > afaik, yosemite has finally abandoned QT even on i386.
> >
> > so i think there are a number of possibilities:
> >
> > - downgrade to some older version of OSX
> >
> > - convince (bribe, intimidate,...) someone with OSX knowledge and
> > reasonable ObjC/C++ knowledge to write an AVFoundation plugin for Gem
> >
> > - upgrade to an operating system that does not deprecate another core
> > component of their OS whenever they make a new release¹.
> >
> > gfmsadr
> > IOhannes
> >
> > ¹ disclaimer: i love linux and probably are not un-biased.

Luiz Naveda