[PD] pure data benchmark?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:48:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/05/2015 18:12, martin brinkmann wrote:
> does something like this exist?
> afaik not, but i think it would be useful to have some more
> or less objective and comparable method to measure how well a
> system is suited for running pd.
> there was a test patch for rjdj on the ipod/phone which consisted
> of simply as much osc~-objects as the device could handle.
> that worked quite well for checking if a patch would run on
> the device or not, but i think it might not cover all possible
> properties of a system.

One problem with (totally un-scientific) benchmarking I've seen on Linux
(on laptops and with Jack Audio) is that there are a few factors sucha
as cpu scaling, wifi on/off, swappiness.. and of course type od soundard
used i.e. all the 'audio on linux' stuff which an influence performance.
I'm talking here mostly about 'audio benchmarking' more thn CPU etc.
which means for instance how low latency you can get with a rather CPU
intensive patch without (too many) xruns etc.

With heavy patches I have also noticed dramatic performance differences
with different gui activity: e.g. the more number boxes, sliders etc.
being 'continuously' updated (in the order of milliseconds) the worst
performance is. Very hard to benchmark though because there are many
factors.

Add GEM (and video cards, drivers.. ) and 'benchmarking' probably
becomes a sort of black magic.

This doesn't really answer the question but thought it would be useful
to throw in some additional complexity :)

Lorenzo.