[PD] some repo house cleaning

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 17:51:33 CEST 2015

On 06/07/2015 11:07 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On 07/06/15 09:52, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>> an alternative plan that'd be great.
> I think it was Socrates said something about "code > words":

I'm using github for the nw.js port atm, too.  But I see way less
potential for future shenanigans from a non-commercial host
with a long track record.

Also-- if you look at the Gimp/Sourceforge story, Gimp had been
offering Windows binaries from a site outside of Sourceforge
for a long time.  What Sourceforge did was to bundle their
old binaries with malware.  Sourceforge claimed the site had been
"abandoned" by the Gimp devs, as if that is an excuse for the
bundling.

http://petapixel.com/2015/05/29/sourceforge-accused-of-bundling-gimp-with-adware/

So unfortunately we have to keep an eye on the Sourceforge Pd
repo for the foreseeable future.  That's why I suggested "capping
the well", so to speak, by releasing a non-functional binary once
everything is available and maintainable from a different host.

-Jonathan