[PD] Problems with maintaining Pd-extended (was Mess and redundancy...)

Flávio Schiavoni fls at rendera.com.br
Tue Jun 9 16:10:18 CEST 2015

Hi there,

As I told it before, a student here is developing a Pure Data Package
manager.
The basic idea of the Pure Data package manager is to deal with bundle
files.
We are using a zip file for each external or library as the bundle
package.
The bundle name will contain the library / external name and also the
architecture.
He is studying some software packages to base his development like deb,
rpm, xip, nbm, ...
Since we have different types of plugins (tcl/tk, c and pd abstraction),
it can have more than one architecture.
I don't know how bad is to call everything a plugin but it is how we are
dealing with it. :-)
The bundle also includes help files, license, readme file, a packet
descriptor and  installation instructions.
The descriptor is a text file with several information like author,
architecture, checksum, version, source path, ...
We are developing a "packer" tool to help developers to pack their
externals and an installation tool to add / remove plugins.
Next step is to define a remote repository, a repository descriptor and
a local repository.
We intend to use HTTP protocol as a default repository server.
Once it is done, we will develop a update tool to add repositories, list
repositories' externals and add / remove plugins.
I hope it will be a simple way to distribute plugins and developers will
be able to provide their externals to users.
Maybe it will be possible to pack every pd-extended external separately
and put it in one or more repositories.

Again, since it is a final project in our computer science course, it
will take some time to get it ready.
I hope you can wait it a little bit more.
I will keep you guys informed about it.

What do you think about it?
Some suggestions?

Cheers