[PD] reporting bugs downstream (was Re: partconv~ outputs silence)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 20 14:15:18 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-20 11:21, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
> On 2015-07-20 10:17 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>> the main problem is really, that there are virtually no releases from
>> the svn (apart from a few select projects); which makes it rather hard
>> to track all casual fixes of bugs.
>
> Isn't the Debian repository downstream of svn? I always assumed this.

yes it's downstream.

but it doesn't automatically use the newest version found in svn.
that would be a nightmare considering reproducibility and stability
(don't think Pd-extended play-a-gig-tonight scale; think
Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/SteamOS/... server grade scale).
therefore, a human being (aka Debian maintainer) needs to manually
import new upstream sources whenever they feel the urge to.
this is done most easily if upstream does regular (or irregular) releases.
unfortunately most externals in our sf repository don't do releases at
all. which puts a lot of additional work on the Debian maintainers.
enough load, so that bug-fixes that are merely pushed to the svn most of
the time will not make it to Debian and friends unless the Debian people
are called to attention.
the way to call them to attention is by reporting bugs in the Debian
bugtracker.

until recently¹, all Pd-related packages had zero (0) bugs files in both
the Debian and the Ubuntu bug tracker.

reporting bugs downstream usually has the advantage that the bugs will
get forwarded to upstream by the maintainer - often with an accompanying
patch that fixes the problem...

fgmdsdr
IOhannes

¹ last friday (17.07.2015) i filed 9 bugs due to incorrect use of
array_getfloatarray (found automatically; so some of them *might* be
false-positives)