[PD] Present and future of WebPd

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Sep 8 04:49:22 CEST 2015

Hey Seb,

"The first is to re-implement the whole thing with custom DSP, and
forget about native nodes."

As you know, this is how the original version of WebPd was architected
before you re-built it.

When I handed WebPd over to you, one feature that was important to me
was to have WebPd work as a system where you could take an existing Pd
patch and be pretty sure it would sound and work the same or similar
when you ran it on WebPd in so far as the objects that the user used
were supported. That is why I attempted to have test patches to check
that the output from Pd was the same as WebPd. I understood that would
incur a performance penalty, but actually several Pd patches ran ok in
that initial version so performance was "acceptable" to me at the time
for my use-cases.

It seems like that is not a goal you share with WebPd, rather you are
making something "Pd-like". The phrase "Pure Data runtime" is probably a
bit misleading for users in that context, given that you said you don't
want to support objects like "cos~" out of the box and that the audio
output from WebPd is different from Pd (because of using native
oscillators etc.).

Obviously you have put much more work into this project and taken it
further than I ever could have. I am glad to see it live on with
somebody who codes as energetically as you, so thank you. I don't have
any right to dictate what you do with the project, rather I only hope to
persuade you that faithfulness to Pd's output is probably a feature that
users will appreciate a lot.

Cheers,

Chris.

http://mccormick.cx/