[PD] 8 point average filter with biquad and raw filters?

David Medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 8 23:07:21 CEST 2015

I'm not sure how to do it with biquads, but I'm sure it's possible. It
is absolutley possible to design an IIR filter that approximates this
and then build it out of biquad sections, but I would have to look long
and hard at my DSP theory texts to figure it out.

I /do/ know how to do it with [czero~] objects, though. The difference
equation for a mean across m samples is:

y(n) = 1/m * (x(n) + x(n-1) + ... + x(n-m+1))

so the z-transform is:

h(z) = 1/m * (1+ z^(m-1) +  z^(m-2) + ... + z)

This is a polynomial in z and the roots of this polynomial (which are
complex) are the locations of the zeros. I'm bad at algebra, so I used
octave (the function is called roots) to find the roots. It turns out
that whatever the value is for m, you will have n zeros spaced at equal
intervals around the unit circle for the mean filter /except/ for an
absent zero at 1 (m-1 zeros in all). So for an m=8, your zeros would be
at [.707, .707] [0,1] [ -.707, .707] [-1, 0] etc. I attach the pole-zero
plot of the filter for m=8.

Your biquad-based solution to the 4 point average is very clever. It is
very challenging (for me anyway) to generalize this filter design
problem with biquads, so I have something to think about when I'm on the
bus for a little while. If I come up with anything I'll post it.

Cheers,
David