[PD] Present and future of WebPd

s p sebpiq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:41:28 CEST 2015

@Robert : yes ... nacl is dead. And plugins are problematic. Probably a
plugin wouldnt work on iphone for a start, and you would need to implement
the plugin for many platforms ... and people need to install it etc.
Plugins are a bit 2000 ;) flash and java and friends .... they are going to
disappear sooner or later

> Also-- what about compiling libpd using emscripten?

I think some people already did that (Martin Roth?) ! It would probably
work fine, the only thing is there will be issues with all the parts where
the code needs to cooperate with the browser. Typically : loading resources
(sound files), updating some graphics, etc ... Also you probably couldn't
script things with JS.
But most of all I think (Chris tell me if I'm wrong), WebPd started as an
experiment to see what could be done in the browser only. Myself, I like
that idea of doing only JavaScript. Pushing JS forward, developing tools to
do dsp, etc ... so giving back to the JavaScript ecosystem through
developing WebPd is a nice thought to me. Also you know ... I no nothing
about C/C++ :) and I know JS quite well ... and as they say "if all you
have is a hammer , everything looks like a nail" !!! On the other hand,
that's also why I like the idea I explained in the other post about
removing the dsp implementation from teh core. One other possible flavour
of WebPd could be that the dsp is implemented as small functions in C
compiled with emscripten. Even maybe why not reusing some of libpd? But I
probably can't do it myself ...

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

> On 09/09/15 11:13, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>
>> Also-- what about compiling libpd using emscripten?
>>

> Do it!
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> http://mccormick.cx/