[PD] weird behavior of [vd~] in phave vocoder (overlapping subpatches)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 07:51:15 CEST 2015

>>> unlike [osc~], [vd~] will get the continuities between blocks right!"

> You can't really compare these two objects.

Sure I can :) i'll insist on it by the way. Again, [vd~] will not generate
discontinuities with the overlaps, unlike other objects such as [osc~] and
[phasor~]. Moreover, and as a logical result, it won't change the pitch
because of the oversampling. It'll just work fine.

> [vd~] is actually the same thing as [tabread4~]

Oops, now I'm the one to say you can't compare them as equal. You see,
[tabread~] needs to have an audio input to read through the array, but
[vd~] is always "reading" the buffer at normal speed - so this makes them
quite different. Since [tabread~] only react if some signal is feeding it,
then it depends solely on that incoming signal; and thus the object who's
outputting it, which could be [phasor~] or [vline~]. So it's more about
which object who's driving it than itself.

When it comes to [vd~], the pithc shifting and time stretching also depends
on the object that's driving the input, which could be again [phasor~] or
[vline~] and need to deal with their behaviour.

> you have to divide by the overlap factor, because then
> you read less samples and therefore virtually slow the
> [vline~] down. In a subpatch with overlap 4 everything
> happens 4 times as fast because instead of only 1 block

yeah, sure, I've pointed it in my 1st message. I get that.

But as I asked, I don't really get how ALL parameters need to divided by 4,
not only the [vline~] time, that is not clear yet. Sorry.

And by the way, my patch does also time stretching, so it's different than
yours and is dealing with more parameters and issues than you. So you are
addressing the [vline~] issue only (replaced by [phasor~] in your patch) -
but that was the only parameter that I really understood anyway.

> When using [z~] to delay the back window simply by the
> fft hop size you don't have to care about  window sizes

hmm, my problem was more why were my two patches different, the one with
fft needed to care about it, but the other one didn't. I actually get why
that thing needs to be done to properly phase align the windows.

So I was thinking and then thought that the other patch was working because
it wasn't a phase vocoder, so the phase alignment was not important. But
now that you say this and showed your patch, I can see that you need not
worry if you are using a delay. And I was actually using a delay in my non
fft patch.

In the end my patches were different but equivalent and now I get why. It's
cool to know and learn that if you are using delay you don't need to care
about it.

thanks

ps. I'm still curious on sorting out the behaviour of [vd~] though