[PD] Font size on Windows and Linux

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:43:29 CEST 2015

Hi all

It's old news, but deken makes Pd-vanilla _the_ target platform and I do
care about portability:

  Font sizes in canvasses are different between Linux and Windows.

Some patches created on Linux break on Windows because symbol boxes are
overlapping the GOP area and are not visible anymore.

From the list of available sizes in the 'Edit'->'Font' menu, only a few
sizes are actually affected. The sizes 8, 10 and 12 are one pixel per
character wider on Windows than on Linux. The sizes 16, 24 and 36 are
OK.

Now the question is what is the correct way to fix that, I mean on what
platform should it be changed? I'd say it should be changed on Windows,
because I can't imagine that shrinking boxes would break any patches,
while widening boxes might do.

Pd-extended already dealt with the issue and apparently found a fix.
What would speak against incorporating that fix into Pd?

Roman