[PD] weird behavior of [vd~] in phave vocoder (overlapping subpatches)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 22:49:25 CEST 2015

yeah, I have to sit again with some time and figure it out, I should do
some tests to better understand how many objects behave. But, in the
meantime, lets talk about something important here.

> Delaying the back window [z~] is a rather lazy trick and it won't
> give accurate results each time you change the pitch shifting
> factor, but after one fft-window it settles. The question is if you
> can actually here this error. When I find some time I'll make a
> comparison between our both solutions.

Are you really sure about this? Cause I've been testing it and thinking
about it and, in my opinion, both are exactly the same thing, equally
equivalent, and I can't hear any difference as well.

Lets sort this out ;)

I think that the second delay makes it a simpler patch and easier to
understand. I'm using [cyclone/delay~] by the way, which works with samples
- must be the same thing as [z~].

cheers

> [...]
>> quite different. Since [tabread~] only react if some signal is feeding it,
>> then it depends solely on that incoming signal; and thus the object who's
>> outputting it, which could be [phasor~] or [vline~]. So it's more about
>> which object who's driving it than itself.
>>
>> When it comes to [vd~], the pithc shifting and time stretching also
>> depends on the object that's driving the input, which could be again
>> [phasor~] or [vline~] and need to deal with their behaviour.
>>
>> > you have to divide by the overlap factor, because then
>> > you read less samples and therefore virtually slow the
>> > [vline~] down. In a subpatch with overlap 4 everything
>> > happens 4 times as fast because instead of only 1 block
>>
>> yeah, sure, I've pointed it in my 1st message. I get that.
>>
>> But as I asked, I don't really get how ALL parameters need to divided by
>> 4, not only the [vline~] time, that is not clear yet. Sorry.
>>
>> And by the way, my patch does also time stretching, so it's different
>> than yours and is dealing with more parameters and issues than you. So you
>> are addressing the [vline~] issue only (replaced by [phasor~] in your
>> patch) - but that was the only parameter that I really understood anyway.
>>
>> > When using [z~] to delay the back window simply by the
>> > fft hop size you don't have to care about  window sizes
>>
>> hmm, my problem was more why were my two patches different, the one with
>> fft needed to care about it, but the other one didn't. I actually get why
>> that thing needs to be done to properly phase align the windows.
>>
>> So I was thinking and then thought that the other patch was working
>> because it wasn't a phase vocoder, so the phase alignment was not
>> important. But now that you say this and showed your patch, I can see that
>> you need not worry if you are using a delay. And I was actually using a
>> delay in my non fft patch.
>>
>> In the end my patches were different but equivalent and now I get why.
>> It's cool to know and learn that if you are using delay you don't need to
>> care about it.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> ps. I'm still curious on sorting out the behaviour of [vd~] though

>>> Hi Alexandre,
>>>
>>> I'm new on this list, but I think I can help you on this because
>>> recently I tried to do the same thing. I can't fully test your patch
>>> because I'm missing the cyclone library (and don't bother to install it
>>> :-p).  I try to give an answer to the following questions:
>>>
>>> "Other issues related to overlapping besides this "oversampling" is that
>>> some objects won't make it right, they'll chop the blocks with
>>> discontinuities, such as the case with [osc~]. But as it turns out, unlike
>>> [osc~], [vd~] will get the continuities between blocks right!"
>>>
>>> You can't really compare these two objects. [vd~] is actually the same
>>> thing as [tabread4~], only that it reads from a ring buffer rather from a
>>> table. So the critical thing is only which object you use as the input for
>>> [vd~]. You are using [vline~] whereas I'm using [phasor~]. Both are